Munich Chambers Of Commerce - Some Expensive Talks
(There are several Chambers, This
does Not apply to all, eg German IHK is OK, & I haven't got
the British in mind, so which Chamber[s] of Commerce might this
apply to ? ... ;-)
Some, (not all) Chambers Of Commerce
charge expensive fees to attend Evening Lectures bundled with
surplus Socials, despite:
- Speakers usually promote their company, government,
- They should bait their own hooks !
Vernisages in Art galleries in Munich do Not charge for
their advertising evenings.
- Viewers don't pay to watch adverts on TV.
Why pay to attend a lecture with Suits, rather than a free
lecture or stammtisch with
professional technical industry associates ?
Professional associations in Computer industry offer many
evening lectures Free
& technical stammtisches too, where one can meet
professional associates - All Free.
- With only so many hours available to attend events, &
a lot of events per month, why pay for expensive events
Business Model Of Some Chambers Unattractive
- Bill companies annual membership.
- Subsidise drinking & eating of employees of member
- Deny free access to associated business lectures.
- Pay PR/ad agencies &/or restaurant staff for hot air
&/or alcohol etc ;-).
- It was greedy bankers & similar etc who triggered the
2008 financial melt down, big investors have been jailed for
fraud, & a US lawyer at 13 May 2009 jailed for massive
- Yet business Suits charge fees to pre lubricate their
events. - Why ? Are their lectures less interesting/
substanial, than those of other professionals ? Where
audiences willingly adjourn after, to nearest nominated bar/
restaurant & Pay direct for what they consume ?
- Those that most enjoy subsidised social bloat might rank
with advertising account executives & telephone
sanitisers, etc (welcome on the first of the 3 rocket of the
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy ;-) )
What To Do ? One could tell Chambers Of Commerce:
- Unbundle the business lecture from the Bloat !
- Free access to the lecture.
- Optional charge to enter reception room fater, Or
Cash Bar, just like a British Pub
People also get more chance to make contacts, circulating to
& from the bar, than standing like dummies at small round
tables, with no reason to talk to adjacent unknown
- In an era of financial stringency, business needs easier
access to business lectures, without wasting time & money
on payment & registration forms.
- The bloated Reception/Social: The cocktail circuit Suits
& Dresses alcohol & nibbles, (possible smoking if
they can get away with it by calling it a private event),
jewellery, perfume, high heels, & abundance of PR &
marketing droids, vacuous social chat, is redundant &
optional, No need to bill as Essential !
- Publish talks after as .pdf, like conference proceedings;
( Or don't business speakers actually have anything Worth
noting ? ;-) Technical speakers usually Do have notes worth
Alcohol, the Germanic enthusiasm for shaking hands, &
breathing air in common with hundreds of other tired humans
at end of day, was noted still to occur during times of
increased frequency of international pandemic risks ( Bird
Flu, Swine Flu, etc) . Flying in guest speakers then was just
icing on the cake, whether viewed from global warming, or
from viral spread perspectives.
Better a free
industry lecture than an expensive bloated business