SORBS - A bad RBL Black List
Sorbs extorts money for `corrections' to their fraudulent
listing that Berklix will
If your ISP (=mail provider) uses lists from Sorbs, best ask
them to dump Sorbs, & get a competent black list provider,
or get a better ISP if they refuse. Berklix is by far not the only innocent victim of predator Sorbs
- Some email servers import
RBL / DNSBL IP black lists of spammer domains, that list
spammer IP numbers to discard mail from.
Domain Name System-based blackhole lists have suppliers
"questionable or reckless" etc
That their lists may be received by many non paying
`customer' recipients, is not necessarily an index that
they are Good. Best also investigate eg:
- Do they ever notify listed domains theyve been added,
or periodically remind they're still on, to give the innocent a chance to investigate,
refute mistakes, or deal with odd rogue users etc ?
- Do they ever timeout or
revalidate IPs ?
- How good are they at detected malicious false reports
& masquerades ?
- How good will they be when it comes to be your turn
or your mailing associates, to be falsely listed of
spamming by some mistake of the black list provider, or
by malicious false accusation from someone who bears you
or your domain a grudge who files false libel with a
gullible reckless black list provider ? How quick is it
to navigate their web to get a free correction of their
false data if your domain is innocent ?
Sorbs: Views other than from Berklix
Sorbs : the view from Berklix
- Sorbs.Net has for 5 years falsely & libellously listed a Berklix server as a
- Sorbs damaged Innocent Berklix & users.
Sorbs owes all domain owners & users & lists
hosted on the IP for 5 years of false libel &
Why Did Sorbs Libel Innocent Berklix ? Why Do They
Extort A Fee To Fix Their Mistakes ? Will they do you
- Maybe Sorbs fumbled analysis of a masqueraded
- Maybe Sorbs gullibly accepted a malicious lie
without checking, eg from a disgruntled ex Berklix
mail list users too lazy to unsubscribe themself
- Maybe some other malicious person seeing some
mail from a Berklix user, lied to
Sorbs & Sorbs accepted it without question ?
- Maybe someone at Sorbs was tempted to sprinkle in
added random IPs to boost employee productivity &
extort more revenue from Innocent domains for Sorbs ?
Unlikely, but a business model for a criminal, &
there's no assumption of trust for Sorbs perpetrators
after 5 years libel abuse.
- Anything might be possible. Sorbs never reported
to Berklix any
spammer accusation, & Berklix was given no
chance to examine logs, or refute false Sorbs
They don't publish an Impressum or address where to
complain or sue them.
They dont list being a member of a trade ethics body
to complain to.
whois shows: Creation Date: 2002-01-25T08:27:24Z
- Sorbs seeks to extort payment to correct their
own false records, that's a crime.
- Sorbs are not trusworthy. They waste time of the
innocent & extort payment
for false libel.
- Presumably Sorbs may list genuine spam sites too,
but that's insufficient reason to use Sorbs.
- There's other better black list providers than
Frame Grab Proofs:
- That Sorbs deters guilty spammers as well as extort
fees from spammers is irrelevant - Berklix is Innocent, small & non commercial.
Sorbs owes Berklix
for 5 years of damages.
- Sorbs owes the net an apology, a better web site,
better spam analysis, external accountability, &
public logging of spam reports.
- Little chance of that when they can continue to
irresponsibly damage the Innocent
with the guilty, avoid libel damages, & extort
- Best instead use some other BL eg perhaps SpamHaus https
:// en . wikipedia . org / wiki /
or other competitors.
- Sorbs are still listed as "assumed reputable[by
whom?]", Sorbs not yet moved down to "Suspect" at:
https :// en . wikipedia . org / wiki /
- Sorbs irresponsibly libelled the Innocent server for 5 years, without
informing postmaster or abuse@ or periodic checking
checking - Don't trust Sorbs
- Wonder how many other Innocent IP's Sorbs falsely list as
spammers ? Best check if Sorbs is listing IPs of your
sending servers! You might go years with silent discards
due to SORBS, until you strike lucky & some Sorbs
user leaves a verbose reject on, that alerts you Sorbs
have falsely listed another innocent
servers have used fixed IPs for decades, no open relay
SMTP, virtually no users, certainly no spammers, does
have postmaster@ & abuse@ etc, & hundreds of
users on local lists live in the city of the server,
& many could vouch the postmaster@ is no skulking
spammer, but is: http:// www .
berklix . org /~ jhs / contact / Even the look of
the webs doesn't look like normal anonymous secretive
spammer pits, glance at eg:
- 22.214.171.124 &
Berklix has for
decades carried free mail
lists (truly really free, no ads, no harvesting etc,
unlike fake only nominally free lists from commercial
(Previously a few removed list members on a long since
removed list refused to use unsubscribe mechanisms on majordomo then mailman,
& a very few maliciously lazy & brain dead incompetents falsely reported the whole
list server to other Black Hole Lists operators,
(perhaps it was easier with a click & fumble mouse interface
than learning to email in Ascii unsubscribe gea & then Ascii mail the confirm key ?) So
it's occasionally before been needed to get malicious
false spam reports cleared, thus some experience with
other RBL clearance sites, but they weren't crass &
greedy like Sorbs.