Berklix - Server Names, Services
& User Info
Various entities share domains on the various servers, so
sometimes multiple variant URLs can take you to the same
Host naming is subject to change; a snapshot is below. For
current information, consult the name servers, available via
normal BSD Unix
command or /usr/local/bin/dig from
etc. Localy on berklix
servers, See Also /site/domain/berklix/etc/motd
Avoid using physical host names (DNS A records). Use
virtual functional aliases (DNS CNAME records) listed below.
This minimises user inconvenience, & allows us maximal
flexibility to invisibly dynamicly re-allocate resources
during upgrades, reconfigurations etc.
Note EG www2 may or not be same as mx2 etc, Or Not. ie
same number does not indicate same physical host.
- Mirroring from these hosts is either not available, or
discouraged. If you mirror please try to do it weekends/
evenings, to avoid creating heavy traffic or dial-in access
load during business hours. There are better faster mirrors
& in Munich (ask at the BIM Stammtisch,
or consult official BSD sites: www.FreeBSD.org
- Use SSH only (to avoid password capture by intermediate
systems). Rlogin & Telnet are forbidden. They are
only for use of administrator, to rescue machines, if for
some reason sshd might fail. (After which use am immediate
change of password would occur).
- Use sftp rather than ftp if loging in with your
- Mail should not be sent to login_name @ berklix
.org, but to login_name @ user.berklix
- Logins are just on one host "user.berklix.org": Central
multi host passwording is not done.
- The ftp servers run read only to avoid Warez dumpers.
Please don't create so much traffic it might annoy our sites
- Some of packages are installed to maintain BIM leaflets etc,
however, this is not a place for arbitrary packages better
installed on your own computer.
- 2016-07-30 05:00 Saturday: Some hour(s) after
this Berklix server `slim' died.
UPS power failed, part of a SAN
failed, that housed the virtual server
- Alternate dual reserve server `Land' had old
configurations inc. for DNS,
so Berklix temporarily
- Lists & majordomo & web etc
- 2016-07-31 12:27 : First of several reconfigs of
server on `Land' .
- Name server was repaired on host `Land', to
- Berklix web & incoming
mail re-appeared on internet via host server
- 2016-07-31 16:09 : Creation & First boot of
new server `Slim'
- `Slim' configured for DNS
HTTP etc. configs & data reloaded from
- New virtual server with newer release of OS
& utilities took some time to configure;
- 2016-07-31 19:35 Slim started serving
- Reload of dependent domains
- No mail list data was lost, (configs, member
lists, archives, etc all intact, backed up both on reserve
live server & off internet too, to 2016-07-30
- 2016-08-03 07:59 Wednesday Land received a
normal (non test) list mail to chilli-org@
- 2016-08-03 20:05 Wednesday Reserve server `Land'
resumed normal list transmission (of a posting to list chilli-org@)
- 2016-08-04 17:30 Mail lists tested OK on both
servers with test list zz-test@
- 2016-08-04 19:00 DNS
reverts to full dual to provide automatic
- 2016-08-05 ~ 01:00 SASL (for
outgoing home to server mail) fixed
- 2016-08-07 13:30 webmail fixed on main
- 2016-08-19 webmail fixed on reserve
- 2016-08-19 & before: Further upgrades
necessitated perl upgrade, demime & majordomo now dont
- 2016 -08-19 Fri. To bg@ : "mail list
servers are reconfiguring ... may be problematic if you
send HTML or MIME"
- 2016 -08-20 Sat. To bg@ "Some missed
event announcement(s) as a criminal falsely registered the
server as a spam domain. Tracing in progress."
- 2016 -08-20 majordomo@ & *-request@ diverted
for a few days. & notified on top of berklix.org/help
- 2016 -08-30 3 lists on mailman now converted
from slim.berklix.org to mailman.berklix.org. Prefs for
mailman set mm_cfg.py
- Recurrence of problem "Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman other mail
daemon", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as group "mailnull""
- 2016 -08-30 16:30~ host=slim gradually
froze up. No response from ^C ^\ ^Z Suspect thrashing from
mailman possibly ? Maybe it'll eventually saturate all
resources & crash reboot ?