--- Page Below Partly Obsolete
Obsolete in that there are many refererences to Majordomo,
& Berklix now uses Mailman
instead which is far easier for users, but as there's still the
odd fool who wastes their time trying to waste the time of
event announcers & lists owners to do [un]subscribe
requests, this page and Section retained
Do NOT Mail Subscription Requests To server admin !
They Are Deleted Unseen By server admin's Spam Filter.
Do It Yourself !!
Do Your Own Address Additions, Deletions, &
Mail Majordomo Your Subscription
Change Request !
Try Majordomo it's quick &
Read the Introduction first if you
want; Or jump straight in & Try It. You may
need a few goes before you succeed, or you may prefer to read
the Introduction first.
Too Lazy To Try Majordomo A Few
Some are so lazy they won't even try Majordomo a few times & engage their
brain. Instead they mail server admin wanting to waste his
time. A waste of theirs ! Their mail gets deleted
automatically, unanswered, by his spam filter, he never even
sees their request, & their subscription remains unchanged.
Do No Not Waste Your Time Asking server admin To Waste His
Time Too !
Still Clueless After Trying Majordomo A Few Times ?
Try Majordomo several times And
engage your brain - hard, think logically even if
mostly you prefer to think intuitively Analyse Majordomo
results with a friend. Think, Try again !
If You Finally Consider Yourself Incompetent
Buy some friend (Not server admin) or colleague a beer or cake
to offer advice or hold your hand while you or they use Majordomo for you. Spread the load ! Ask
someone else for advice ! Consider buying any "Internet For
Dummies" book that has a section covering use of mail lists.
Consider signing up for Internet night classes.
For any who refuse or are incapable of getting advice from
others on how to "Do It Yourself" - server admin won't waste
his free time for such people, they must pay with their time
& money, as a deterrent to discourage more people from
being also tempted to waste server admin's time !
- Go to a [German] bank:
- Pick up a preprinted transfer form for the "Rotes
Kreuz" (Red Cross, Red Crescent, ICRC) or Oxfam or Artze
Ohne Gernzen (Doctor Without Borders) as recipient.
- Fill in Betrag/Amount as 10 (Ten) Euros,
- Fill in Verwendungs- Zweck as: Your human name &
email address - spell it Very clearly, make sure its the
address to be added to or deleted from list, not some other
older or newer address !
- Pay Red Cross or Oxfam at your bank.
- Get your bank to stamp it as paid.
- Post original receipt (not some scan that can be faked)
in a stamped addressed envelope to server admin, his
address may be in phone book, yes Work yourself!.
- OR - Instead of wasting time searching for it Use Majordomo instead !... OR
- Beg for permission to hand to server admin or any Beer garden organiser
member at any announced event they happen to attend.
Wait for them to give to server admin when we happen to
meet. Don't try to obligate server admin or others to
attend/ not be late/ not leave early, just because you want
a time wasting manual un subscription !
- Wait a long time till server admin finally gets round
to wasting his time, un-subscribing you manually !
Comply precisely with the above. Any deviation will result in
server admin Not wasting his time un-subscribing someone by
- Do not claim to have paid a charity & not got a
receipt, your problem, you won't be believed.
- Do Not pay 10 Euro to server admin's account. He will
NOT unsubscribe for that (& will not give bank
details), & will not do anything server admin does Not
want anyone thinking he wants money for [un]subscribing, He
doesn't ! He just does not want people stealing his time
any more !
- Do not give server admin 10 Euros cash, he will not
accept it ! You Fill out form & You pay a charity at
bank. No, server admin will Not provide you a form! You
waste Your time doing this!
- Server or list admin requires a signed original
receipted form for 10 EU paid to a charity as above,
physically in his/her hand, before he/she will consider
wasting his/her time un-subscribing people by hand, which
is completely un-necessary ! Use
Majordomo, Don't wast server admin's time, your time,
& your money !
Do NOT Mail server admin About Subscriptions !
- Many people's `Just Want' requests were flooding server
- Each individual subscription change might previously have
not taken server admin long, but there are hundreds of people
on numerous mail lists who used to periodically mail server
admin subscription changes.
- All lists now have numerous subscribers who have
successfully used Majordomo. Get one
of them, or someone else who can think logically, to help
share the load. Get them to teach you Majordomo . server admin _runs_ Majordomo & numerous other services,
which is enough work in itself, & leaves no time to
educate & hand hold all individual subscribers (hence he
wrote the Majordomo web page.
- In addition to doing subscription changes, the previous
presence of a human rather than a computer program also
attracted extra time consuming mail on related subjects, now
also avoided by use of Majordomo.
- server admin has too many friends on the lists to even be
able to help personal friends unfortunately, let alone
- server admin has given too much time for too many years
running lists etc manually.
- There are now more ever more lists, & people.
- server admin invested more time installing the robots. It
would be the height of folly to now not use them, & let
the clueless & lazy continue to burden & deprive
server admin of time, instead of making them finally take
personal responsibility to maintain their own list
- It's unfair to attempt to deprive server admin of his
time, just because some are too lazy or clueless to try to
use the robots.
- It's unfair to everyone else too, to deprive server admin
of time better spent developing extra functionality later
useful to all.
- server admin is a freelance, there is no distinction
between `working hours' & `leisure time', there's just
`screen time', & he spends too much time in front of the
computer as it is, & has no screen time to waste.
No More Free Help !
- server admin will Not waste time giving any help for any
subscription task the robot programs can
also do, regardless if your request is via personal mail,
list mail, phone, fax, or in person). If you'r too lazy or
clueless to use the robots, that's your
problem, not his, he is Not paid to support all the people on
all the lists, in particular not the large number of lazy
&/or clueless on certain lists. Some personal solutions
are suggested above.
- Majordomo is pretty trivial to
use, after you've tried it a few times, & given responses
a bit of thought.
- Do It Yourself ! Please Use The
Robots, as it says on every mail footer !
What server admin Still Does
- Organise Events for clubs using the lists
- Run the servers (the net computers)
- Run the Majordomo subscription
- Run the Mail Lists
- Enhance (time permitting) extra infra structure to
benefit all subscribers. EG more web interfaces.
Truly Exceptional Circumstances
In Truly Exceptional Circumstances, exception may be made, but
Not for all the merely lazy or clueless who want to waste
server admin's time. To discourage the lazy & clueless from
presenting themselves as exceptional, the following mandatory
pre-conditions apply, in this order only, before any action
will be taken:
That may take months ! Go do it yourself, Free Now. :-)
- Wait to happen to meet server admin at some social
- Offer to buy him a beer if he really believes your case
is truly exceptional.
- Buy beer
- Wait again till he remembers to act on the request.
The above completely excludes anyone asking server admin to do
manual subscribes & un-subscribes now, with vague offers to
buy him a beer later sometime. The double deterrent of making
you wait, & consuming your money is intended as deliberate
encouragement to Try Majordomo! Now !
& is Not a scheme to get server admin free beer: server
admin does not want to consume _your_ free beer. server admin
does not want you to consume _his_ free time.
No one gets any help or response, unless they at least
provide substantial proof of repeated sequences of attempts at
self help, including proven self analysis of Majordomo responses (by which stage people
don't need to ask for help, - they have almost always analysed
sufficiently, & succeeded themselves !).
Use your intelligence - Go use Majordomo Thanks !
Only Contact List Owners If :
The Majordomo documentation, defines
the correct addresses for list owners.
Only Contact Majordomo Owner If :
The Majordomo documentation, defines
the correct addresses for majordomo owners.
- There is some problem the list owner cannot solve.
- There is some technical (not philosophical or user)
- There is a configuration or run time error with
- You are a skilled Unix admin / BSD person, & are
reccomending syntax correction for an erroneous majordomo
Only Contact server admin If:
- You realise subscription requests are deleted
automatically as spam.
- You want to Phone order Purchase
Of Computer Consultancy. (Best
phone, email may get lost in over a hundred spams server
admin gets every day). To discuss a short or long, local or
remote contract, or to arrange pre payment for a few short
hours, on/off site, via phone or net-remote or on site,
- You're contacting for social reasons, nothing to do with
your mail list subscription or ski booking etc ? OK