This is a list of GEA & Berklix Annual Events. Most events
happen most years.
New ideas welcome.
- New Year's Skiing trip.
- New Year's walk.
- Fasching ends on a Tuesday (in Feb ?), probably
English Shrove Tuesday = Pancake day, what Americans call
fat Tuesday. Munich don't go to the extent of Venice with
masks. Just lots of fancy dress at parties (fun for a few
years, then a yawn). I seem to recall street traders here
do something in Viktualien- Markt that morning, to also
celebrate end of plague centuries back. (Unless I'm
getting events confused). Sometimes some of us go to
watch it, armed with plastic cups & bottles of Sekt.
- A Bad day to Ski - Drunken skiers!
- Beginners Ski Trip - Julian
- Club Anniversary Meal
- St Patrick's Day - The Munich Irish clubs (a dozen or
so) celebrate, & the GEA often participates too in
- Starkbierfest Fr. 13.03.2009 bis inkl. So. 29.03.2009
- Good Friday lunch; special Stammtisch
- Easter ski
trip often with Richard.
- Easter Monday,- bike ride; hike; egg hunt for kids
- Some date near St George's day (23rd April 2008) walk to beer garden at
Mariabrunn (site of the November Guy Fawkes bonfire).
- About this time each year one Berklix member Julian is often an
exhibtor at or helping at Vintage Computer Fest Europa here
in Munich, & various Berklix people visit him, &
down a beer in the mini beer garden outside.
May Day Jazz Biergarten
- Bike Ride led by Julian normally
starting from underneath's the ships screw
(propeller) on Ludwigs Bruecke on the North (down
stream) end of the Museum island on the river Isar.
Note Re. `Screw': Germans also call
it a Schraub, but I call it a Screw Not because I've
been here too long & gone native, but because the
proper marine industry English also calls it a screw,
only English speaking natives, lay people not
professionals call it a Propeller. End of lecture
- Straight to the Beer Garden via S Bahn
- Ascension (*) Day (2009: May 21st Thurs) mountain walk/Herzogstand
near Walchensee - Roger H. (*) I'm not sure but think
Ascension is 39 days after Easter
- Camping trip (May-June) - Camping has become less
frequent & more intermittent, Ask Richard G. who also
runs ski tour
- Brunnenhof (Residenz) Concert
- further float/swim and barbeque (weather
- Trip Lago Di Garda, Italia, with Julian
- Oktober- Fest
- Moon light walk: led by
- Heimgarten Mountain walk: led by
- Christkindlmarkt visit
- Party ! Ask the committee
- Christmas Meal
- Lunch, 25th December : (A Xmas
- New Year's Eve - If we get a volunteer - ask the
Occasional - Events we've done before, & may again,
given sufficient demand, but no longer to a regular
This section will expand when people mail me others they